Saturday 30 May 2009

Penniless Peggy Project

I have found myslef, once again due to lack of employment by the Institution (the system being pay for what you work and given no work since beginning of May) absolutely penniless. For all the freecycling I have done the karma hasn't swung round to me yet. As you can guess this does somewhat inhibit the moves forward in terms of working on the narrow boat, electronic projects (requiring parts) and contributing to the food bill.

So with time on my hands (and I don't deal with this at all well) I have made up a new workstation - facing out the window and put my mind to a project that (thank goodness) she has all the parts for. This is the Penniless Peggy Project taken from the book ReadyMade - how to make {almost} everything by Thames and Hudson. Please note that although the suggestion is that this project will cost next to nowt, bear in mind the many pegs I bought (back when money was cheap) work out actually quite expensive (in my terms) - less you can beg them for free!

Take 192 dolly pegs


Have the following tools near by


Using a pencil and ruler, mark 176 of these dolly pegs 1/2 an inch from the bottom


and 1 inch and 1/8 from the top


Then drill these holes. I used a fancy wooden clamp table found in the outhouse to hold the pegs in place. This or other clamp would be best to prevent the peg from whizzing around when drilling. Oh also, I used a hand drill for more gradual drilling rather than power zappers.


Alas, the drill bit has just broken! There is not another small drill bit in the flat at all! However Leigh assures me that (and through a nice demonstration) it is still workable even if a bit short. I will persevere.

Damn! It's like drilling using your elbow, it's making a hash up so looks like I will abandon drilling til tomorrow, when I can try to beg, steal or borrow a 2mm bit.

I have just realised, dear reader, that you haven't the foggiest what I am making. Just thought I'd let you know, that I know. TBC.

No comments: