Saturday 17 November 2012

Crafty Brooch

I wanted to make a gift from items I had around the house and discovered this cute brooch design.


I used a small amount of fabric, some cotton and needle, pins, ribbon, safety pin and a button. 


Using some vintage fabric I had left over from some curtains, I drew out two circles, one the size of a cereal bowl, the other a mug.


I cut out the two rounds and Delia stepped in to help!

 

One at a time, I folded over and pinned the edge of the circle and tack-stitched making big stitches. 


Once right round, I pulled the thread tight and knotted.


 Then I flattened it down...


to make the first rosette...


I did the same with the smaller circle, although this time I did it without pins, tack-stitched an edge...


and pulled it tight....


I flattened the second rosette and stitched the two together, along with a button in the centre. 


I needed some ribbon for the leaves, but all I had was elastic, so I folded into two and stitched...


along with stitching a safety pin to fit onto a jumper.

Here is the end result, and I made a special card too. I hope she'll like her personalised items. 



When I got home from a day out, I decided to have another go, this time using smaller circles, now I understand how it comes together...


A simple, quick and elegant gift!

No comments: