Tuesday 10 February 2009

HAM radio

I am getting more excited as each Wednesday swings by... a week tomorrow, is the commencement of her Foundation course in Amateur radio! The boys at the mill have been taking me through the ground work and I will be spending 10 long evenings studying the RSGB booklet in preparation for the test.

The plan is to gather info throughout the course and then build a transmitter from scritch-scratch. This way I will get to know the inner workings and understand the darn thing a lot more. I now have a new soldering iron and tip cleaner and already, soldering is a lot more fun and less frustrating than using the tired-old iron (not the clothes sort mind).

Things of note in the future are 'Mills on the Air' in May (10th and 11th) taking place at a mill near you and 'Newbury Radio Rally' on 21st June for amateur stations, exhibitions and car boot. Final thought before I turn to a zombie from lack of sleep, is that once the boat is afloat and kitted out in all things transmission-like I will have to register as mobile from my station. How exciting! I believe this brings the letter 'm' into the equation regarding her call-sign.

No comments: