Saturday 23 April 2011

Spring planting


Oh my goodness it has been hot. Delia has hardly lifted a paw and has settled where the breeze came in through the hatch to cool her fuzzy belly.

I've been away for a few days working in the city so it's such a delight to be onboard in the sun in the countryside. I've been cycling along the towpath to collect some compost and walking in the other direction for food supplies.

We are once again in the region of Hartshill. This time we are further round the corner between two bridges overlooking a local farm and cow grazing fields. We have a good neighbour including Dylan again!


Woof Woof! Who I have recently discovered loves Chewits. That is the funniest thing, watching a dog eating a Chewit. Ha!

So this compost I mentioned earlier is for the purpose of growing some veggies. Having been spoilt in the flat with such a huge garden I must say the restrictions of the boat is hard to get my head round. I had a rockery, fire pit, lawn, holly tree and other large tree, fruit canes, space for rows and rows of veg - including once growing pumpkin which trailed along the lawn! I had a compost bin and water butt, pea frames and bales of hay for growing tomatoes on. How spoilt!


Given my own way the boat would equally be a jungle of hanging baskets, pots, trays... of climbing beans, brocolli, tomatoes, onions, garlic, sweetcorn and all other fruits and colours you can find. But the reality is (especially after the paint job) I've got to consider exactly what to grow, taking into account space, security (as I have had pot plants stolen before), how much we can actually water with a limited supply on the boat and placement of containers, as access around the boat is paramount.

So after all this I devised that the window opposite the bathroom is 'dead space' and could be used to house a trough. The shoes are on a rack below and this area is nothing more than a walk way from galley to lounge. So I found this lovely long planter and brackets at a local garden centre, fitted it up today and filled with a layer of gravel and then good compost, finishing off most importantly with the following: Parsley; Corriander; Chives; Spinach, Rocket, Salad leaves and Basil. This is the finished thing...


And on the stern I made space for a pot of King Edward spuds. They should be ready by the end of August. I can't wait, it is so much fun digging around to find juicy potatoes.



I have other seeds to plant but am not sure yet whether to utilise a top box or go for another collapsable pot as per the spuds. Still its great to have the herbs and salads on the go now.

No comments: