Thursday 4 August 2011

DIY


Today, it has quite literally been teaming down with rain all day. So, I've been looking into some jobs outstanding on the boat. Sure the list is endless, but you have to start somewhere. We have some lovely new barge-pole holders which we need to secure to the roof of the boat. Trouble is how?

As it happens, whilst buying some more engine oil at the chandlery opposite our current mooring, I ended up speaking to a very helpful engineer who pointed out that self-tapping screws wouldn't work on their own going through 5mm of steel. He recommended two options, tap and drill and then screw in using the pre-made thread, or drill through to the inside if there are no batons at the exact spot and screw into a piece of wood fixed to the ceiling.

I think I prefer the neater idea of tapping into the roof. I could see some problems occurring with rain water overtime coming through into the cabin with the latter.

I had a look at the set of tap's they use and he explained how they work. I recall now from when I was a teaching assistant in engineering, the use of taps on a lathe machine.


Doing some research into tap and die sets, you get what you pay for, as with all tools. This engineer suggested I would probably use a M8 for the pole holder so it might be worth investing in a one size set, get the tap holder and have it for any other jobs requiring tapping. Already I can think of the mount I want to attach to the stern handrail for the life-ring which will require tapping to attach then screw the mount in place.

The only question now is, is it worth buying a quality set or paying for someone who has the tools to do the jobs.

No comments: