Friday 5 August 2011

Nottingham to London day 3

We left the mooring at Silbey lock after filling up the engine with oil. I wasn't feeling too great after a night tossing and turning so we didn't have great hopes as to the distance we'd make today. After two locks I was colourless and feeling grim so Leigh pulled us over on a section of the river called the River Wreake. We had just passed the small village of Cossington. We moored up and I spent the day in bed. Our mooring overlooked a field of shaggy bulls and a grand horizon of trees, so it was a lovely place to be.

(Note for those squeamish and arachnophobic avoid the next paragraph)
As Leigh came to bed he shone a light across to me only to discover above my gently sleeping face a spiders web and chunky spider sat in the middle. He woke me so I didn't get a face full of web and we did away with the creature. Then there was another on the curtain, of equal size... and another hanging by a thread down toward the bed... and another across the room... and another behind the curtain.... and another... and another. I had left the small window open on the bank side and these crawlies decided to make a break-in and see what lies inside the boat. Well, I have to say, in the middle of the night I didn't have the inclination nor patience to put them back outside. They all met with a piece of soft tissue over them.

It was a rather strange day.

No comments: