Thursday 4 February 2010

Stillness in movement and movement in stillness


This year has begun with taking up a new interest.

I used to live with a wonderful woman called Josie who was a gem at things spiritual, creative and musical. We used to set up in the best sonic room of the house, the bathroom, with her playing the digjeridoo and me on the djembe recording our hearts away. She used to attend Tai Chi classes and I remember evenings where I was sat upon the bed listening and watching as she would move around the essence scented room telling me about different sequences, breathing rythmically with each stretch. I always thought it sounded wonderful but never really considered doing it myself. We used to cycle around together, we lived together, we went to the same University, that was enough for any friendship!

Since then some years have passed and from somewhere came the urge to now look for a class to attend. I discovered the Tai Chi Alliance who run classes locally and went along. Not much thought went into this process I now realise upon reflection, maybe it was more of a subconscious thing?

I am being taught Yang style Tai Chi which seems to be, out of the 5 styles in practice, a version of gentle and large movements. It stays at the same pace throughout and has a very relaxing effect. After some warm ups in the first session we went straight into the Tai Chi walk and I think this is my favourite part so far. See the movie for how it goes (I recommend switching off the music)

No comments: