Friday 10 September 2010

Nottingham to Atherstone *7

Day seven.

We left our mooring along from the village of Alrewas and the sky was looking grey.


The wind was up and our 65foot of steel was drifting from bank to bank of the canal. Leigh has become expert at controlling it's erratic moves and glided into our first lock, lock 14, common lock, a single boat lock.


I closed the gates and gently wound the paddles of the top gates, every lock having it's unique speed of filling up, I've found it best to take them steady!


We were on route to Fradley Junction and soon to be leaving the Trent and Mersey canal. We were then on page 169 of the Collin's waterways guide 3 for those following us along.


We approached a small flight of locks, Hunt's lock, passing through bridge 50 straight into Keepers Lock with it's L shaped beams which I needed legs of an elephant to budge! Then we passed the BW office and fortunately finding a boat coming out towards us Junction Lock was in our favour.


As I filled the lock the air vents by my feet Whooshed! with force making me jump, I felt out but couldn't sense if they were pushing or pulling the air. At the top of the lock Leigh navigated the boat round the clusters of moored boats at this very busy junction.


We worked out the swing bridge,



a simple, push! and pulled up to fill up the water tank as we were coming to the end of our bottled tap water.


There was a wait for the tap so Delia came out to explore the new area and we admired the ducklings...


We were finally on the Coventry Canal lined with magical acorn trees with fields beyond full of rolls of hay...




We turn to page 61 of the guide and look forward to the wiggly canal towards Whittington.

Bridge 90 captures my imagination, as we approach, pass under and leave. I am captivated by the momentary secret place, the gentle passing of time, a beginning and an end.




Time eases past and Leigh and I are lost in the pace. We pass Huddlesford and a sign indicating our route at the private moorings of the Wyrley and Essington canal.


We tire as we reach Whittington and moor finding ourselves looking at a richly full plum tree! Out came the ladder and pole and we filled a bowl of juicy blue plums.

Leigh collected some Elderberries the other day so I thought I would give muffins a go... They were a treat! Even better than blueberry!



We explored Whittington village and some old paths and at the Bell Inn we found some bramley apples to fill our pockets and take home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am just checking that commenting works on my blog as I've heard some folk are having problems again... Amanda