Tuesday 26 July 2011

Fixing job

With an interest in things electronic and skills in building units and soldering, I was asked by a friend to do a repair job on his key fob. It turned out to be rather intricate, however simple.


The top "lock" button was not working, due to the switch coming away from the pcb.


I opened it up and had a good look.


The 'legs' of the switch had completely come away from the body, filling the holes in the pcb and not leaving much to work with on the switch itself. I did have a look for another switch I could use but I didn't have a small enough one in my collection.


I decided to work with what I had. I selected my finest soldering tip I have and removed excess, old solder from the board.


Then using my gripping contraption I held the tiny switch in place to tip the ends, ready to set in place on the board. It was tricky trying to avoid the plastic sections that were very close.


I then tipped the board where the switch would sit, set the switch down in place and using the soldering iron melted the solder, fusing the parts together.


It held well and seemed to work. Just needed to check that it was going to lock the car...

I shortly found out that it worked perfectly. Brilliant.

No comments: